Now I also make jewelry

Sunday, 26 August 2012

Resurrection

Yes, it's been a while and all those instruments that I began last year have been nagging at my very Katholik guilty conscience. So, since there cannot be a resurrection without a previous destruction, I started off this week with "de-konstructing" one of the tenor ukes I had abandoned. First, I removed the top by sanding down the edges with a power sander in a frenzy of ritualized violence; since the top also covered the neck, I sawed off the neck where it joins the body and proceeded to sand down the top layer of cedar down to the mahogany core. Here is the result:
So, the box and the neck are nicely salvaged and, after some adjustments, ready to be re-used. I build a new soundboard out of Nootka cypress (also called yellow or Alaska cedar), which is my favorite wood for tops. I use left-over pieces of cypress for the braces (this is all very scientifik, of course).
I then re-attached the neck to the body, glued the top back on (this one does not cover the neck) and trimmed the edges, drilled the peg holes and finished shaping and sanding the neck, and voilĂ :

 I'm relieved that the back is intact after this grand operation. I made it out of honey locust which is a decidedly lovely wood with peach-colored lines:

The veneer over the peghead also exhibits a striking pattern of sinuous lines and a terrific purplish rose hue. I don't know the name of that wood.
I'm now working on the fingerboard.



No comments:

Post a Comment